E. coli is a well-characterized and widely implemented expression system.
Protein Production in E.coli
- The system has been optimized for overexpressing several recombinant proteins.
- Several expression vectors and media for growing the E.coli are readily available.
- It is probably the most economical and easiest system in terms of scaling from lab to production scale.
Our experience and knowledge gained over the years has been translated into systematic protocols, that helps us to solve some of the complex issues encountered in
- Protein Expression - using different vectors , tightly controlled promoters, codon optimization, strain and vector selection and expression in periplasmic space, co-expression of 2 or more partner proteins.
- Protein Folding - Low temperature expression, media and induction optimization, co expression with chaperones.
- Protein Refolding - Expression in inclusion bodies and optimization of refolding conditions.
- Protein for NMR studies - We also provide 15N- or 13C-labeled protein expression.
We offer scale up and fermatation of E.coli under the following quantities:
- 1 liter
- 5 liters
- 20 Liters
- 100 liters and above
Client supplied E. coli ( glycerol stock or streaked plate) is amplified in LB broth and fermented to an optical density (A600) of approximately 0.6 - 0.8 prior to induction.
Protein expression may be accomplished by raising the temperature or via chemical induction (1 mM IPTG) - depending on the characteristics of the host strain and vector. Other induction methodologies may be performed if desired. Cells are collected by centrifugation and supplied as a frozen paste.