After transformation of E.coli with the gene of interest, single colonies are screened by PCR to identify the clones that have the right insert. The plasmid DNA from the positive colonies are amplified and sequenced to make sure the insert is correct and without any mutations.
The advantages of colony PCR are
- Quick and easy way to identify the right colonies without the need for growing the cultures and isolating the plasmid.
- Amenable to high-throughput - can simulatenous screen hundreds of colonies.
- Can be used to screen all the standard E.coli strains.
- ~ 100 ng of transformation ready plasmid DNA or
- Transformed plates for us to pick the colonies for screening.
- For colony PCR only requests- we provide the plate with the positive colonies marked clearly, so you can grow the cultures and amplify the plasmid. The agarose gel picture run with the colony PCR samples is uploaded on your project page for your reference.
- If you choose colony PCR + Plasmid service - we will identify the positive colonies, isolate the palsmid DNA from the positive colonies and deliver the plasmids to you.